Monday, January 22, 2007

Micaiah and Jesus

We were studying 1 Kings this week in our Sunday evening service and we spent a bit of time on the story of Ahab, Jehoshaphat, and Micaiah, in 1 Kings 22. I love the part where Jehoshaphat asks Ahab if there are any prophets of which they can inquire. Ahab reponds: "There is one man...Micaiah...but I hate him, for he never prophesies good concerning me, but evil." I find this statement rather humerous, but also profound, and this is why.
In speaking with other Christians, I find we do the same thing with the teachings of Jesus that Ahab did with Micaiah. When dealing with any given issue, the answer I often get, typically disguised in some other wording, is, "Why would I consult the Bible and Jesus' teachings? Jesus never tells me what I want to hear! Tell me something else (I don't want to pray for my enemies, turn the other cheek, honor God with my finances)." How easily can pastoral advice dissolve into ear-itching.

No comments: